QUEEN’S PARK — MPP for Guelph, Mike Schreiner, released the following statement outlining his priorities for the upcoming legislative session.
“Ontarians are paying the price for the Premier’s focus on enriching wealthy insiders over helping ordinary people.
For far too many people, the affordability crisis has reached a boiling point. They’re struggling, and they need support now.
Each and every dollar this government continues to hoard – every time it chooses billion-dollar developers over everyday Ontarians – is a personal setback for the people of this province.
It’s having to drive for hours just to find an affordable place to live. It’s overcrowded classrooms where kids can’t get the one-on-one support they need. It’s rising energy bills, food costs, hospital fees – the list goes on and on.
Proof of the Premier’s failed record is stamped all across our province. I am demanding better.
As the legislature resumes, I will push for the following measures to bring affordability where Ontarians need it most:
- Bring relief to the housing crisis by creating more affordable home ownership opportunities within existing neighbourhoods while fighting back against expensive sprawl.
- Get the government back into affordable housing investments to deliver deeply affordable and permanent supportive housing solutions
- Stop increasing electricity prices and climate pollution by fighting Ford’s plan to ramp up fossil gas plants.
- Introduce a nutritious school food program for the public school system to help families with rising food costs while supporting local food producers
- Demand accountability for the government’s Greenbelt scandal that put billions in into developer pockets instead of bringing relief to Ontarians
The fight for our Greenbelt has shown that people power can win. I will keep fighting to bring home better for the people of this province – putting ordinary people ahead of wealthy, government-connected insiders.”