QUEEN’S PARK — Mike Schreiner released the following statement in anticipation of Premier Ford’s announcement this afternoon:
“Any new measures announced today must focus on protecting essential workers and making high-risk workplaces safer.
This time, Premier Ford has to get it right. Because lives are literally on the line. Our ICUs are on the brink and our health care system is in crisis.
We know that the bulk of COVID outbreaks and spread is occuring at workplaces. Essential workers in vulnerable situations can’t ‘just stay home’ like the Premier is asking.
So this afternoon, the Premier must announce transparent plans to:
- temporarily close all workplaces that aren’t truly the most essential
- implement more frequent and robust workplace inspections
- target high-risk workplaces with accessible, on-site mobile vaccine clinics
- legislate paid sick days, and provide paid time off for workers to get vaccinated
- deploy rapid testing and mandate medical grade PPE in vulnerable workplaces
We’re in a humanitarian crisis that was both avoidable and long predicted. The Premier needs to act with the urgency and leadership this tragic situation demands.”